My Keepsake Box for my Heritage Book.....Completed


 Hi friends,

I hope that everyone has been
alright this past weekend with
hurricane Irene causing so much
destruction. My three sons and their
families have been affected by the flooding
and electricity being out. They are all managing
very well though.

I wanted to share my finished keepsake box
with you. I bought an unpainted wooden box
at Michaels. I used a walnut stain with
polyurethane. I added layers to create a beautiful
varnished finish. I stenciled a tree design using
gold stencil paint on the top of the box, and when
dried I added another coat of the stain.

The picture on the lid is a postcard of Wigtownshire, Scotland which is near the village where
where my great grandfather grew up. It is known as a "book" town as there were many bookmaker
shops there years ago.



I tried to give the box a distressed look about it.
Do you see the little owl? I love this little guy
and thought he would go well on the box!
The plain little wooden cross was also perfect
to represent the faith in God my family had to
begin a new life in the "New World" of our
Blessed America.










Inside the box I also painted it and lined it with 
a copy of pages from an old German book and
a map on the inside bottom of the box.
The two pictures of the houses are old family
homes in Germany belonging to both sides
of my mothers parents. the home on the left
was built in the 14th. century and the one
on the right built in 1835.
the front cover of my Heritage book
is shown here with the Scottish tartan.
I represented all three countries where
my people came from inside of the book.
you may scan down to some past posts to take a look at the pages of my relatives from Scotland
Ireland and Germany.

This project was so very enjoyable. I would highly recommend to
anyone to join next July 2012 at the Artful Gathering workshops.
you can click on the Roses on my Table button to learn more!

Next post will be an introduction to a young lady I have
met who lives in England and makes amazing journals!!
So stay tuned!!

Wishing you all Love, Peace and a Creative Happy Soul...

Susan
xxoo

Comments

  1. Your keepsake box is so beautiful Susan. Such a great idea.
    Have a wonderful day.
    xo Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and the personal images make it the perfect keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan your box turned out fantastic! That is a lot of work you put into but so worth all the effort. it is wonderful that you have all these photos and mementos to include in the piece, and all the stories too. Have you written down the stories to add to the box so your "kids" will remember them too? I'm so relieved to hear that your family has weathered the storm safely. I hope their homes were not flooded. Electricity being out can be a good experience, teaches us to be better survivors. I realize it can be a horrible hardship for some people when it knocks out their heat or leaves them unsafe, but at this time of year, for young healthy people, it can be a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Susan your box turned out just beautiful. The images you added are perfect.
    I find myself again in awe of your gift for being so creative. Why oh why can't I be like you.
    I have a cheese box that I want to do something with so I will be calling you...lol
    My brothers are on their way over to play dominoes and I am not in the mood but guess I should go and be nice.
    We will talk soon.
    I have been praying for your children. Let me know how you all are
    Love ya
    Maggie
    Don't forget your going to be a Blogazine guest whenever your ready

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful and Romantic Giveaway....Celebrating 100 Followers

My First Giveaway and Celebrating My Birthday!!